Thursday, May 12, 2011

A bad week

Last Friday started a string of days that haven't been kind to me. We decided to work on a landscaping project over Mother's Day weekend which included building a new stone patio and planting flowers in 4 flower beds.

I decided not to workout while doing this project, as I knew I would be doing more than enough and wouldn't have the energy anyway. We worked hard on Friday, shopping for plants, planting one flower bed, unloading patio block, and cutting and hauling sod (rolls of sod, in case you didn't know are freakin' HEAVY). Because I was out late renting the sod cutter, I grabbed a pizza from Papa Murphy's. I asked for no sauce, light cheese and a thin crust. They put sauce on it anyway. I would have taken it back, but I live 30 mins away and was at home when I realized it. Because I had worked so hard earlier, I was starving and ate like I hadn't seen pizza before! It was a little ridiculous!

Weighed myself Saturday morning, I had gained. That is when the bad day started. Scott took Bo with him on some errands, so I was able to plant the flower beds before our babysitter (my sister) got here and I had to help Scott with the patio. I was busy, busy, busy! I was making sure the sod was being watered, my flowers were okay, and digging in the dirt. I was almost done with the second flower bed when I pulled off my gloves to take a little break. The gloves snagged on my wedding ring (I never take it off and have not had any problems before), and that is when I noticed that my diamond was gone. I thought I lost it where I threw the gloves, but the more I thought about it the more I came to realize that the gloves probably snagged because there was NO diamond. That meant that I could have lost it anywhere in my yard. I was all over the place! Front and back! I called my husband crying. I felt terrible. Really, truly terrible. He was due home in an hour and he helped me look. No luck. I got a lot of well-meaning, pretty much useless advice via FB and decided to move on. After all, I can replace a diamond. I'm still married with or without the ring. AND the flowers look awesome. 9 hours later, we were done for the day. A lot was accomplished.

Oh, I forgot to mention, my sun allergy made my arms break out in hives worse than ever before. I was very itchy and my arms were burning like they were on fire.

We ate out that night because we were both too tired to cook. I gained on Sunday morning.

Sunday was a lot of hard work, too. Digging the area where the patio will be, moving block (16 lbs each), and laying said block. It was hard on my back and knees. AND I was sweating like a pig! It was HOT! I had to take frequent breaks because of my arms. Oh, and the diamond still didn't show up. We ate out for lunch and dinner.

Monday morning I had gained so much that I don't even want to think about it! I was incredibly disappointed and upset.

I banned myself from being outside on Monday after I spent maybe a whole hour watering plants, hanging laundry to dry and laying some more patio block. My arms were so bad I could barely move them. It hurt to pick up my child! When Scott came home and saw my arms, he banned me, too. It was so nice out that I was actually devastated to be inside.

Tuesday--15 mins of being outside and I had to ice my arms for 2 hours. Another bad day of being stuck inside.

Wednesday, yesterday, my arms were finally better, but it was raining all day, so we were inside again. During nap time I went downstairs to do a little card-makin' and found that my craft room was flooded. There was an inch of standing water 5 feet across my room! Luckily, none of my supplies (thousands of dollars worth of material) were damaged. I spent the rest of the day cleaning out the room, shop-vac'ing the water up, and organizing a new craft space in my husband's "man cave." He's not too happy, but neither am I. After all, that was my own personal space...I could shut the door after baby went to bed and just be ALONE.  Now it could be months before my space is ready again. We found nasty black mold on the old vinyl sheeted drywall, showing us that it had happened before. Luckily, no mold on the concrete block walls.

So, this past week hasn't been good. Not at all. I've lost most of what I've gained by now, but am disappointed I let stress and exhaustion affect me like it did.

I am never too tired to make good choices.  Eating does NOT make me feel better. Eating will not make my allergies any better. It will not make stress go away.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you poor thing. What a rough week indeed! Just admitting it and trying to move on is so important. I hope this week is MUCH better for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is important and sometimes so hard to do. Right now I'm really struggling with it, but I know I have to push through. Thank you for your comment! I hope this next week is better, too. :) At least I don't have any more diamonds to lose...

    ReplyDelete